Pages

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

My Life...Or Lack Thereof...Maybe

Did that title make sense…yeah well welcome to my life. I may not always make sense.

I decided today to talk about me personally, because the majority who read this don’t know me in person. I will tell you a little bit about my life and what I do, or don’t do, and what I figured out recently.

For those who don’t know, my name is Jennifer, I am 23 years-old and I’m Puerto Rican. I’ve been living in Connecticut (Bridgeport to be exact) for about 16 years now. I graduated from Bassick High School in 2004 and went to Teikyo Post University from 2004-2005. I won’t get into why I didn’t finish school, I can always talk about that on another post if anyone is interested. Anyway, right now I share an apartment with my friend Ashley, though I pay most of the rent and all the bills myself. She was having problems with her living arrangement and I offered her a place to stay for only $300 a month because that’s what she was paying in her old place and that’s all she can afford. I don’t mind because I had a spare bedroom and an extra $300 in my pocket is better than no money at all. I work full-time at a laundry mat and convenience store simultaneously (Cuz I’m wonder woman, lol, joking. They’re attached). That’s about it, lol. I work Mon-Fri 7 a.m.-3 p.m. and I always go home right after work and lock myself in my house. Doesn’t sound like much of a life, right? Now are you getting the first half of my title?

I pretty much do nothing. I sit at home on the computer almost all afternoon and night, and weekends. Personally, I’m tired of people, like my roommate saying that I don’t do anything, and I’ll explain why. It looks like I don’t do anything, but I actually do. The only difference between me and other people is that I live my life through computer. I just recently figured this out too. I used to bring my laptop to work and do stuff online there and then come home and continue, but I no longer have internet at work (Bad girl that I am, I was stealing wireless from somewhere down yonder and I guess they moved their router because I can’t pick up the signal long enough to do anything). Now I have to wait till I get home to do everything, and I have a lot to do. I’ll break it down some:

1. Check my email: I have 2 hotmail, 1 msn, and 1 yahoo. I have to check all four and I usually have around 20-30 emails in each account. It takes me about an hour to go through them.
2. Check my myspace: I’ve had the thing for almost 4 years and I’m still as addicted as I was the first week I got it. I gotta check my messages, and blog comments, and whatever other comments there is. Plus I read my friend’s blogs and on occasion leave messages. And I gotta feed my pet (my myspace pet, not the real one, though that’s the first thing I do when I walk through the door.) This also takes me about an hour.
3. Blogger: Well now I’m blogging everyday, though I usually write my blog at work (like this one). But I read around 8-10 blogs everyday. That’s another hour.
4. Check the couple of forums that I’m a member of
5. Check out whatever website has been brought to my attention that day
6. Log in to the Fairfield County Writers Chat Room. I usually do this as soon as I get home and just leave the window open and talk while I do everything else.
7. Read. Very important because I love to do it, and now Book Universe (my other blog) is getting more traffic. Gotta write those book reviews. :P
8. By the time I’m done with numbers 1-6, there’s stuff already piling up on my inbox and other places, so I have to start the routine over.
9. Write. I’m an aspiring writer. Which is why all the things I do online are important. I’m not just reading people’s blogs for fun, though it is fun. But I’m also learning about how other authors got where they are today, what steps they took to achieve their goal. And most importantly, I’m networking. Ooooh aaah. Networking is very important because if I have a question, I know I can feel comfortable asking someone that I’ve established a relationship with, and they’ll give me an honest answer, tailored to my needs because they know me and my needs. Plus if I ever do get my book published in any way, I know that as a new author I’m going to have to market myself and sell myself to people, and if people in the writing community already know me, then it’ll be easier to promote my work. See? I’m a smart cookie, I know what I’m doing. Plus everyone I talk to is awesome! I love all my writer friends, they’re funny, and insightful, and most importantly, they get me.

So you see? I actually do a lot. By the time I’m done it’s way past my bedtime and I have to go to sleep and repeat the process in the morning. I know that when I take a break or have some spare time on my hands, I end up staying in my room. I can’t help it if I’m shy, introverted, anti-social, and all my hobbies happen to be in my room. I like to play Sims on my computer, or play Guitar Hero on my Wii, or play with my DS, or read, or write. So I never leave my house, unless forced, and I apologize for that, but this is how my mom raised me. I was the only child in the house, my mother didn’t like kids, and so she bought me video games, Barbies, painting supplies, writing supplies, anything to keep me in my room and out of her way. It isn’t my fault. But don’t act like I don’t do anything because I do. I’m a Capricorn and not only do I take things personal but I’m not afraid to defend myself, and I’ll end up offending somebody. Like, for a person who doesn’t do anything, I sure am working on my dream of becoming an author. What are you guys doing with yourselves? You work and go out and party hardy, but are you really doing anything of value? I didn’t think so. Most of you still live at home with your parents.

No comments: