Pages

Friday, February 20, 2009

End of Ze World

Before I start, I want to say that I don’t know exactly what the segment was about, I only saw about 30 seconds worth. That being said, last night there was something on the news about some lights in the sky, I think in New York. They were saying that no one seemed to know what the lights were and that airplane passengers were a little afraid. They then showed a picture of the sky with two sets of lights next to eachother, each set had 3 separate orange-y lights and they looked to be forming a triangle. I left the room after that, I had enough information to mess around with my roommate ( :D ). I ran to the kitchen where she was and told her, “Ashley, you ready for this? There’s UFOs in our area! It’s freaking Independence Day, call Will Smith! Hell, have him on speed dial, he knows about this shit. Independence Day, Men in Black (1 AND 2), I Robot, I am Legend.”

We had a nice laugh fest. Then we decided to throw off the aliens by calling in Tom Cruise (War of the Worlds) and if there were crop circles involved we could call Mel Gibson. But then we figured he’d either offend them and make things worse and if he didn’t, well he didn’t really do anything in Signs ‘cept piss the aliens by chopping some extraterrestrial’s finger off. So we calling Joaquin Phoenix! Though I don’t know how much good he’ll be to us now that he retired from acting, became a rapper, and is bugging out on the late show.

All this talking about UFOs and aliens had me thinking about life outside of earth. A part of me, the part who likes astronomy and has taken classes, is educated enough to say that there has to be life outside of our planet. It’s an egotistical thing to think that out of billions of billions of billions of solar systems, stars, and planets, that earth is the only place with life. But do I believe in intelligent life being out there? I’m not too sure, you would think we would have found something by now. With so many satellites up there, we would have spotted something. Then there’s the other part of me. The part that believes in love at first sight, and ghosts and vampires, and the Loch Ness monster, and the Chupacabra. Why can’t there be aliens? Because we haven’t seen them? Well how do we know we haven’t? Why can’t they be smarter than us, and more advanced? They can be disguised as humans, or have invisible UFOs. We don’t know.

So that’s my opinion, obviously I’m indecisive. How about you guys? What do you believe?

Here’s one of my favorite videos of all time. I figured I’d post it because when we think of aliens we think of destruction, of the end of the world. But there are other ways for the world to end. ;-)




No comments: