Pages

Thursday, March 06, 2014

Toe-Tapping Thursdays: HAIM

I'm a very big fan of music. 95% of my day is spent with some type of music playing in the background of whatever it is I'm doing. So I decided to start something new on my blog called Toe-Tapping Thursdays. Every week, I will blog about a song or artist that I've been obsessed with all week. It could be a song that just came out, or a song that is new to me, or just a song that I've fallen in love with all over again.

This week I will be talking about the band HAIM. A sister trio (Este, Danielle, and Alana), they hail from California and have been picking up momentum in the States for the last year or so. When I was talking to my best friend about them earlier this week (she didn't know who they were and I decided to change that right away) I told her I thought they were like the love child of Fleetwood Mac and Wilson-Phillips. I would like to add that this love child's Godmother is either Joan Jett and/or Pat Benatar. Hehe.

Seriously though, they're good. I guess they're considered alternative rock, though I couldn't care less what box they're being put into - they're all over the place musically speaking. They have hard hip-hop style beats on some tracks, R&B melodies on another track, and kind of folksy stuff on other tracks. They know how to play around with music and sounds and mash genres well. The lyrics are cool too. Insightful but not overly complicated. You listen to their songs and you get into them, and then you end up on Youtube and watch interviews and live performances and you fall in love with them even more.

Their interviews always leave me with a stupid grin on my face. You can tell they're really close and love each other so much. Their personalities are so different and it's fun just to watch them interact with one another.

Their live performances look amazing! They have all these instruments and (usually Alana) they switch from one thing to another in between songs - ("When did she pull out the maracas?") And Este's conversations with the audience in between songs (and her bass face) have become legendary. They are so amazing, so genuine, and so fucking fierce. They have the whole package, and I don't doubt that they're going to be around for a long time.

About a week in a half ago, they premiered their new music video for "If I Could Change Your Mind" which happens to be my favorite track from their album and now it's my favorite video of theirs. I'm obsessed, I've watched it like 10 times a day every day since it came out. Now you can watch it too!




Side note: Doesn't Alana Haim look like Troian Bellisario from Pretty Little Liars?

Alana Haim

Troian Bellisario










No comments: