Pages

Saturday, March 14, 2009

A Very Horrible Experience

It was a weird feeling. An emotion unlike I had ever experienced. My breathing ceased, my lungs did not care. My heart felt as though it stopped beating. Time stood still. I could not move, I dared not. Because if I did then what just happened really did happen, and it wasn't my imagination playing tricks on me, coming up with the worst possible thing it could think of.

Finally I began to move, slowly. I forced my lungs to take in some air as I needed to breath to be able to think. My limbs felt heavy, panic had gripped them. I forced them to move. I forced my panic back a bit, anything to think of a logical explanation. Anything to fix this problem...

I realized then that I had been mistaken. It was all a big, horrible mistake. THANK GOODNESS!!! My limbs slacked, they felt like jelly. I was super relieved.

What happened, exactly? Well I popped my flash drive into the laptop, tried to open my NaNo story and I couldn't find it! Not only that, I couldn't find the additional chapters I had saved there as well. Or the brainstorming for other stories. Everything was gone...or so I thought. Turns out I was looking at my MP3 player's folder (which is also plugged into my laptop). Of course there isn't going to be anything saved under doc. But I learned a very important thing out of this incident. How important, and how special my work is to me. I hadn't realized how much it meant to me until now. When I thought about the 25,000+ words that I had thought lost...I wanted to cry, just weep. I felt so useless, and indescribable really. There isn't a single word to describe how horrible I felt.

1 comment:

Carla Swafford said...

That's exactly how I felt when my new laptop acted crazy and wouldn't pull up windows. Thanks goodness I didn't panic and do something stupid (like the Dell "expert" told me to do). I just had to update the BOS and then all was good.