Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Looking for Ms. Rose

I have a friend who has talked about writing her own book since we met 2 years ago. I think it's why we bonded initially; she was writing a work of fiction based on her life growing up, but only had a few chapters after a couple of years of writing. I had 2 finished novellas and was thinking about getting back into writing (this was during my hiatus). I was excited to meet someone - face to face - who had a similar goal as I did. She was excited because she had never met anyone else that liked to write, period.

I talked about writing constantly and she never did. I've worked on getting my writing muscles back to where they once were by doing creative writing prompts, and blogging on occasion, and actually writing stories. She started to edit the stuff she had, but quickly stopped. Then she started talking about a children's book she wanted to write.

She sent me her children's story this weekend. I am proud that she wrote it, and finished it. Proud that she started taking steps into getting it published. I'm also proud to say, that I enjoyed reading it.

I have become a sounding board to her, not only as a critique partner for the things she's written, but also as far as getting published and the steps that she needs to take.

I am not a published author, I've barely just begun to consider myself a writer again. But I've done some research and I've submitted manuscripts in the past, and I guess in her mind that means something. I am more than happy to impart whatever sliver of knowledge I do have.

Can I just say that for someone who loves to research stuff, she sure does NOT research any of this! Haha.

My friend spent this weekend bugging me - and I say that with all the love in the world - about what to do. I tried to tell her that there are a number of ways to go about getting her book out there, including self publishing which she did not want to hear about.

After that the conversation changed to marketing - her writer's platform. Now, I recall a few weeks ago having a conversation with her, telling her she needed to get her name out there, let people get to know her. I told her to at LEAST get a Facebook page. She said no. Said, she would do all that after the book was written. Funny how life is; I remember saying the same thing to my friend Lisa and her kindly setting me straight. A writer must market themselves in addition to their product. If people "know" you, they're more likely to buy your stuff. This weekend, my friend did a bit of research and came across the term writer's platform, so I encouraged her again to create an online presence. To meet and interact with other writers, to network.

This got me thinking about my own platform and my own networking. I believe I have a voice...but it isn't a full voice. I make my passion for reading known. People know I review books. But not many of them know (or remember) that I write. And that's my fault. I purposely don't mention it. Because I'm scared. Because I doubt myself every minute of every hour. I keep telling myself that I'll start promoting myself as a writer when I know for certain that I'll finish the current story I'm writing. But that's just a cop out. I'm afraid of announcing to the world my intentions and then not following through. I'm afraid of not finishing my story. I'm just afraid, period.

I've met and have surrounded myself with a great bunch of people who I know would be supportive of my journey. I need to believe in myself and throw myself out there 100% and just do it. I need to overcome my fears - I really do!

No comments: