Pages

Monday, April 15, 2013

Look at that...2 days in a row!

Don't mind my random jumps in topics, I'm a little all over the place today.

I opened up a savings account today. It was super duper easy! I already have a checking account, so I just went to my bank's website and clicked here and there and TADA - savings account! Now that our bills are up to date, I can finally start saving up for a car. (YAY). I want it quick, and I want it cheap. Don't want to make outrageous car payments for like 2 years (*ahem* mother), and I also want a small compact cart. I'm going for a Beetle. Let the money saving begin!

***

I'm trying to get back to my roots (never thought I'd say something like that). I'll be honest, I have spent a lot of time distancing myself from my culture. Some things haven't been on purpose, but other things have. There are certain aspects that embarrassed me and I didn't want to be associated with where I came from. I lived in the US and I thought that if I acted like every one else, people wouldn't see me as Puerto Rican...in a way...It's a little hard to explain. I've never denied that I was Puerto Rican, and I love being able to speak Spanish, but aside from that, I didn't really want to be associated with anything else. I only listened to Spanish music at home, and I don't have much of an accent - even though when I learned to speak English I hadn't intentionally try to lose it, it just happened. I don't know why I thought we were below others, but that's what I thought; add that to the fact that I grew up in Connecticut and you've got one pretty Americanized Puerto Rican. But recently, I've been missing it. I miss the music, and the expressions, and the atmosphere of a Hispanic home. The funny thing is, I realized this probably because of my fascination with Japanese culture. Learning about their culture made me realize that I've neglected my own.

So I've been trying to speak Spanish more often, and I'm listening to a lot more Spanish music - because over the years the amount I listened to has dwindled, maybe I'll get back to watching Telenovelas. ;) I've also been thinking a lot about Hispanic cuisine - which I love. I'm tired of going to a store to get an alcapurria and not have it taste good. Or trying to find someone who knows someone who knows an old lady that makes pasteles only to buy some and not be crazy about them. I've decided that I need to learn how to make them. If I can learn how to make desserts and how to decorate a cake, I'm pretty sure I can learn how to make the Hispanic foods that I like. So I've got a (mental) list of the things I want to learn to make. First on the list, alcapurrias. It's getting warm out and I'm starting to crave those little suckers. I will be attempting to make them sometime in the next 2 weeks. I'm leaning more towards next week because I have book club this week and have to get ready for that, plus I'm trying to spend some time with aunt which I haven't done in months. I'll try to remember to post pics of my creation and tell you all how it went down.

***

A co-worker of mine got a tattoo this week and it's freaking gorgeous! It's a pile of books and the artist did just a beautiful job, the colors are phenomenal!!! It couldn't have come at a better time, because I've been looking at tattoo parlors to get my moon tattoo (finally) and I hadn't found a place or person that made me want to schedule and consultation with. But after seeing  her tat, I got the name of the place and person who did hers and I'm most definitely going to check it out. She also told me he does a lot of custom tattoos which is even more perfect because maybe I can finally get that Sailor Moon tattoo I've wanted since I was 12 years old but doesn't really exist. Heh. So I could be getting some new ink real soon!

No comments: