Pages

Friday, April 26, 2013

Audiobooks

I'm a reader, I love to read my books because I can go at my own pace and I can read out loud and play with different inflections. I don't care for audiobooks, at least the (very) few that I've heard. They sound too robotic for my taste. But I hear audiobooks are quite popular, and not all books are narrated in the same robotic tone.

Last year I stumbled across a website, ACX, and it's for authors looking to turn their books into audiobooks and for narrators to audition for these books. It really intrigued me because I've always wanted to do voice-over work - how cool would it be if I were the voice of a cartoon!? - I thought that I could bring a more lively narration to audiobooks, if that's something an author was looking for, I would love to try to give it to them. I auditioned for a few books but never got a response. I wasn't surprised, I have no experience and my feeling weren't hurt or anything - that's part of the audition process. Well there was 1 audition that had been pending this whole time and the author emailed me yesterday and asked if I was still interested in working on her book. Um, heck yeah! So I said yes, lol. And hopefully we'll get all the details ironed out as far as what she's looking for in terms of narration and what the time frame is. And soon, I may have an audiobook narrated by yours truly. :-D

No comments: