Pages

Friday, September 12, 2008

After 4 years, back to Penn

Friday, eek! Usually I'm happy when Friday arrives, it means the weekend, no waking up early to go to work. But this Friday-although I still don't work-is not a happy day. Let me explain...

My step-dad and I are driving to Pennsylvania tonight. My cousin's quinceanero (sweet 15) is Saturday afternoon and I promised her months ago that I would attend. A promise is a promise, right? Can't get out of it now, although I really want to. Why? Well, I love my cousin Christina very much, I'm just not too fond of the rest of my family. I know that sounds horrible, but what can I say? I have to lie and pretend that I'm close to them, but I will not do so on my own blog!

Can you imagine that I'm the black sheep of the family? I am...or maybe I should say I'm the white sheep? :D Either way, we're complete opposites (that includes my mom and brother as well). I love to read, they don't. I like astronomy, they think I'm stupid and crazy for staring up into the sky at night. I graduated from high school, none of them did. I don't smoke-anything-or do drugs, they all do. I've never been arrested or gone to jail, they all have. I've never been in a gang, they all have ('cept for my mom, I think). So as you can see, my family is made up of black sheep, and I'm the only white one in the bunch (well, me and Christina...thankfully).

I don't want anyone to think I'm being judgemental even though I'm coming across that way-because I'm really not. If that's the way they want to live their lives, they can, as long as they're happy, who am I to say otherwise, right? The problem is they judge me. They're constantly criticizing my lifestyle, or how I dress, or how I speak, or the fact that I'm 22 and haven't been "knocked up" yet when both my mom and aunt were pregnant with their firstborn at the age of 13.

Now, I'm a strong individual, I stand my ground, and I usually don't let petty things like that bother me. But this is my family, I grew up with them. There was a time when we all lived in the same house back in Puerto Rico. And I know family members tend to criticize-it's not that out of the ordinary-but it's the way that they do it. They are vicious, they insult me to my face, and laugh about it. Then when I retreat to a quiet room by myself with a book to read, my aunt starts going around saying that I think I'm better than the rest of them, that I look down on them, and don't want to associate myself with them. Which of course is not true. I just wish they would leave me alone to live my life as I please, make my own mistakes. Just because we choose different lifestyles doesn't mean we can't find a common ground and get along. But when I try to say this they dismiss me, say I don't know what the hell I'm talking about, that I know nothing, and that's it.

So now do you see why I'm not T.G.I.F-ing? And why I'm dreading this trip?

Well that's all I've got to report on this end, I will be taking my laptop with me, just in case a fight ensues and I head for my motel room. Will they have internet? I don't know, but if they do, and I get a chance to come online, I'll report on the current progress of the-as I like to call-hellkend (hell weekend...get it?) :P

No comments: