Pages

Saturday, December 08, 2012

NaNo Failure

So it's been a month since I last blogged. Everyone probably thought I was busy getting my word count in for NaNo. Sadly, that is not the case. I didn't even make it to 5k. :(

They say that the ability to write is like a muscle and I've never been as aware of that as I was last month. I remember when I used to blog every day, when I would work on my erotic series, and participate in all sorts of writerly things. About two years ago, I decided to put everything on hold to pursue my theater dreams...now I am not going to get into the depressing details, but obviously things didn't work out. Anyway, it was foolish of me to think that after 2 years of not writing, that I would just pick up where I left off.

So the following are my excuses for not succeeding in NaNo this year:

1. I'm rusty. I couldn't make the words come out, and this wasn't me trying to edit as I wrote...I just couldn't form the story.

2. My story idea, though excited as I was to write, did not speak to me. Or I should say, my characters did not speak to me. I need my characters to talk to me, otherwise things become really difficult. They did not speak, not once. I think I wrote what I did just because I brainstormed and was genuinely excited with the idea.

3. The Sims 3 Seasons expansion pack came out in November. Now we all know my obsession with The Sims. I tried really hard to keep it at bay, and I think I did rather well. But at the end of the day, that was 1 hour a day that I could have been writing.

4. I got sick. I felt shitty! I slept the majority of my time.

5. I was (re)training for an account at work. When I got home from work, feeling under the weather as I was, I just didn't feel like doing anything.

6. I had to transition between my 8 a.m - 6:30 p.m shift to my new 7:15 p.m - 9:15 a.m. schedule. It took a minute to re-adjust myself.

and those are my excuses. But I can't dwell, or at least I refuse to dwell. I know what I have to do - get back to writing. Slowly, I'll be where I used to be, and then I'll surpass that as well. So my goal for the rest of the year and the new year, is to write more. More often and more words. Blogs, replies, chats, stories, etc. I gotta work my writing muscle any way I can. :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"NaNo" and "failure" are two words that don't go together! If you tried, no matter how little or how much you wrote, you succeeded! A few words is more than most people wrote in November --- remember that! =)

SaturnMoonie said...

Awww thank you, anonymous! That I'll try to remember that.

Aly Lynn said...

This is also my goal for the new year: write more! whether it's blogs or stories which wow, I can't remember the last time I did that.

We can do this!